Jan 22, 2009

Four going on ten - or seventeen?

Zoe is in BIG trouble tonight. She's been whiny, and bossy and rude to her friends and brother - but that's not why. She pee'd her panties THREE times today, simply because she didn't want to stop playing to go use the toilet! But that's not the reason either. Somehow she and her little friends managed to punch a hole in the wall of the playroom with a closet door, but she topped even that little number!
Yep, I really couldn't believe her day could get any worse, until she broke a window. I know, WTF? Seriously, I didn't even know what else to say. She sat on the rug in the hall for fifteen solid minutes while Brian and I tried to first, calm down, then figure out how the HELL you are supposed to discipline a four year old for breaking a window!!
If it had been a matter of just getting too rough, or throwing a toy, or some other age appropriate thing, that would be different. But no, she broke the window because she was trying to open it (with a butter knife ha-ha) so she could sneak out and "have a party in the backyard"!!! Again, WTF??? She and her cousin Kaylissa were playing in her room, dressing up and other fun stuff. They came out and got their shoes on, and Kaylissa said Zoe was going to come with her to her house, to help show her the way. Okaaay, I thought, these girls have pretty funny ways of pretending - but whatever. Then a few minutes later we heard the door close. I didn't think much of that really, because they'd been dressing up, and sometimes they like to have a little privacy to change. A few minutes after that we heard what sounded like a clanking. I sent Brian to check on Liam, and he found him in the bathroom with his cars, so we figured the clanking must have been the cars against the base of the toilet or something. Another couple of minutes goes by, and Zoe came down the hall to tell us that she thinks the window might be breaking. Huh? We just kind of looked at her, then asked her what she was talking about. Didn't make much sense coming from a kid her age. Broke the window? With what? Why? HOW? So, we finally decide she might not be making it up, and go check it out... YUP, she cracked the window alright. Stuck her butt in time-out, then tried to get the story out of Kaylissa. Apparently the girls each had different motives for getting out the window. Kaylissa wanted to get glue from her house for the party (glue??). The "party" in question being the one Zoe was throwing for Gaston (yes, the bad-guy from Beauty and the Beast is frequently her boyfriend and/or fiance/husband). She stuck the butter knife up in between the frame and the glass, and tried to - I don't know, pry the glass out? Anyway, it is totally cracked.
What peeves me is that she obviously knew she shouldn't be doing that, because she closed the door. AND she dragged her friend into it. I've been noticing stuff like this more and more lately. She doesn't do that kind of thing when she's playing by herself, or with Liam. But get another little kid over here, and suddenly she's the show-off trouble maker, getting her friends to go along with some crazy scheme. I'm not sure if she's trying to impresses them with some kind of bad ass act, or if she's trying to get them into trouble, or if she just gets so caught up in whatever game she's playing that she loses all common sense! (and I really mean ALL common sense). It's kind of funny to say that she broke a window with a butter knife, but she is soooo gonna pay! No friends for two solid weeks. AND she has to do chores to help "pay" for the window. AND no movies for one week (so she can spend her movie time doing chores). It sounds a little harsh for a four year old, but I'm hoping that maybe her common sense wont get forgotten so easily in the future if she has to do some serious time for this hellish day. In all reality, her punishment is going to be WAY harder on me than it is on her. Dang kid! Just THINK! Some times I swear I'm that dude on Back to the Future "HELL-O McFLY!!"

4 comments:

Ginger Christensen said...

Wait, wait, wait... you mean the door that Ethan knocked down put a friggen hole in the wall!!!???? Oh crap! I'm sooooo sorry!!!! I didn't notice any holes in the wall when I went to check the damage after Zoe said he knocked it down. It looked like it fell straight down on the floor without hitting anyone or anything. What the?? How big is the hole?? I'm sooo sorry dude! That sucks Zoe broke the window. Man was yesterday crazy!!

Rachelle said...

Seriously. It really was crazy. I havent seen the hole, Brian told me about it but I didnt even care enough to go check it out, so no worries. That's why that room is the playroom - just think how pissed I'd be if they'd been playing in Zoe's room!

Tiffany Robinson said...

It was good to see you on sat. Liam is getting so big. Zoe sure is a handful, good thing you are getting a handle on it now. Good Job!

Jen said...

Oh my heck?! What a bad day! It's days like this that you want to turn in your resignation for the mom job huh.
Hang in there . . .

I do have to say that I LOVE how they were throwing a party for Gaston! Oh, I laughed so hard when I read that - but not the rest. The rest was nuts - hopefully next week is better.